PANDEMIC (TEMPORARY) NURSE AIDE TRANSITION PROCESS AND TIMELINE
On Dec. 20, Governor Ricketts issued Executive Order 21-18, which temporarily extended the waiver of certain training requirements for Nurse Aides, allowing Pandemic (temporary) Nurse Aides (PNAs) to be hired to work in skilled nursing facilities and assisted living communities through March 31, 2022.
PLEASE NOTE: Although the PNA waiver has been extended, in order to ensure these individuals are able to continue to work in your facility (as nurse aides) after the Executive Order expires, your PNAs will need to complete all of the following steps (or your facility will need to complete on behalf of EACH individual PNA) by the identified deadlines below.
- PNA Registers for Transition Course with NHCA – must be completed by March 31, 2022
- Each PNA must register and pay for NHCA’s (DHHS-approved) PNA Transition Course HERE.
- If you do not receive an email confirmation with links to the following documents, please check your ‘junk’ or ‘spam’ email folder.
- PNA Submits Packet to NHCA – in order for PNA to continue working in facility after expiration of NA waiver, completed packet should be submitted to NHCA as soon as possible to allow for test completion prior to June 30, 2022.
- Click HERE to see a copy of each document that must be completed, signed, dated and submitted.
- Each PNA must electronically submit the following four (4) documents to NHCA by clicking HERE:
- AHCA Temporary NA Course Certificate – MUST include pre-populated date of completion and student’s name. AHCA’s online Temp. NA course is available HERE.
- NA Skills Sheet – MUST be completed and signed by facility nurse.
- NA 2-Page Competency Checklist – MUST be completed and signed by facility nurse.
- NA Attestation – MUST be completed and signed by facility Registered Nurse or Administrator (on behalf of RN).
- UPON Receipt of NHCA’s Approval that PNA’s Packet Submission is complete and accurate, PNA Registers for State Written and Clinical Test – in order for PNA to continue working in facility after expiration of NA waiver, PNA MUST successfully pass both written and clinical tests prior to June 30, 2022.
- The PNA should ONLY register to take the State Written and Clinical Test IF NCHA has approved the PNA’s packet submission as being complete and accurate.
- The PNA can register for the State Written and Clinical Test HERE.
- DHHS processing of NA approval can take 1-4 weeks.
- NHCA continues to offer in-person or hybrid training for nurse aides.
- Contact NHCA at 402-435-3551 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to host a nurse aide training or nurse aide state testing in your facility.